very rich, yet well-structured wine is appealing now;
its lovely fruit will show to best advantage over the
next five to seven years. We made our first wine from this historic vineyard in 1972. Located on
the benchland and rolling hills between Dry Creek and Alexander Valleys, it is just north of Healdsburg, in Sonoma County. Today Lytton
East and West, purchased by Ridge in the early nineties, are separated by several small residential parcels. In the 1870s, under "Captain" William Litton`s ownership, they were part of one property; the spelling evolved into "Lytton" by 1903. The vineyard is planted primarily to zinfandel and its principal complementary varietals: they include petite sirah, carignane, a small amount of mataro (mourvèdre), and century-old grenache. After years of including "zinfandel" in a prominent position on the front label, we ceased to use it in 1993,
instead placing focus on the distinctive character of the site itself.